If you care for a senior with diabetes, there is no reason that he or she should feel left out this Christmas dinner. There are many beautiful sugar-free lollies, puddings and cakes that can be served on Christmas day. Here is one suggestion for a naturally sweet Christmas cake that can be easily made by Perth live-in caregivers.
Christmas Fruit Cake with Orange Topping
200 grams raisins
200 grams chopped dried apricots
200 grams chopped dried sultanas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons olive oil
200 grams ground almonds
50 grams finely chopped walnuts
4 tablespoons unsweetened orange juice concentrate
1 tablespoon orange extract
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
2. Line the sides of a 20 centimetre round cake pan with baking paper.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the zest and juice from the orange. Add all remaining cake ingredients except the nuts. Use a mixer to stir until well combined.
4. Beat in almonds and walnuts.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes. Insert a metal skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done. If not, cover the top of the cake and bake for another 30 minutes.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool about five minutes. Poke holes in the cake with the handle of a large wooden spoon.
7. Make orange sauce by combining four tablespoons unsweetened orange juice concentrate and one tablespoon orange extract. Pour slowly over the cake.
8. Cut cake into serving pieces and serve.
This cake is simple enough that seniors may enjoy helping to prepare it. That way, they feel like they are adding something important to the holidays and can create memories with you. Remember that the most important part of any day is getting to spend time with the senior that you love.
Learn more about sugar-free foods you can serve seniors with diabetes when you call Home Care Assistance at [hca_phone]. Our reliable aged care in Perth helps seniors maintain physical wellbeing by promoting healthy diet and regular exercise. Schedule a free consultation when you call today and learn how our premier services can benefit your loved one.